When I was at University, I enrolled in a ceramics course, the first week we were asked to create ourselves in clay. We took our clay selves outside to a park and chose somewhere where we wanted to be. We visited each clay person in turn and introduced ourselves…
Hello, my name is Sophie, I am an abstract form, I am happy with who I am. Right now I like to sit under a tree, in the shade, on the grass. I have a wandering side, when you next visit the park, I may be somewhere else, I will come back though.
I make things from what I find around me and watch what is going on in the park. Sometimes I meet other people there. I get a buzz from it. I hope it is reciprocated. Under my tree I am largely protected from the elements but I like to dance in the rain sometimes.
In the class, there was a clay someone who leaped into the fountain. I liked the idea but it wasn’t for me.
It is years on and I now have two little clay people who I co-created. I try to let them find their own form but they are only little and I tweak them from time to time. They climb all over me. Sometimes I get squashed, mostly I love it.
I believe that
- Creativity refuels you and makes the rest of life more fun
- There is no need to be scared of creating ‘bad’ art, at least you are creating art
- You don’t need lots of time or money to be creative, just intent
- A great place to start is reused or natural materials
- There are other creative types at every turn, waiting to meet you
- Some of the best art is transient, it reminds you to enjoy the process
- Kids are the purest creative types, they make great teachers
- If you look for something different every time you walk down your street, you will enjoy the walk more…